Friday, January 30, 2009

Thank you, Bedford, Pennsylvania!

On my way to see a very sick friend, I discovered the joy of relief. First, I needed to feel fear while wrecking my car. Then, I could feel relief.

I owe my first thanks to Cathy and Todd at the car dealer. Cathy’s bright smile and cheerful optimism encouraged me. They helped me find a motel and Todd even took me there.

At first i felt stranded and disoriented but soon resigned myself to a three-week wait for parts in a motel room.

Within a couple of days, Cathy and Todd arranged for me to have a car so that I might drive to Warren, Ohio to see my friend Randy. When I returned, they even gave me the car for another day to shop and do my laundry!

At the laundromat, James chatted with me and even stayed for a while after he was done with his laundry. Perhaps he sensed my cabin fever. I do not know but thank you, James.

Still, my attitude was not good but I now had a great opportunity to write without any great distractions so I began to write…when I wasn’t feeling sorry for myself…which was often. I decided to discipline my moods with simple behaviors like making my bed, shaving and walking.

I owe my second thanks to the folks at Sheetz, chiefly Linda, Brenda and Ryan. All three make wonderful Americanos, despite the tepid water normally available. Linda gave me many encouraging words and smiles. Thank you!

Bedford, Pennsylvania is a three-mile walk from the motel. However, I only walked about a mile before someone stopped and gave me a ride. Although I have forgotten his name, thank you.

The river, the dam and the ducks returned me to a bit of oneness with nature. The time-transcending buildings gave me a sense of community.

At HeBrews, Rika chatted with me and shared her faith. After my first talk with her, I felt bad because her eyes glazed a bit before I quit talking about my writing. She never mentioned the matter but remained friendly on every visit, even thanking me!

The friendly staff at the library helped me so that I could type and print letters.

Now, I have my car thanks again to Todd and Cathy and, of course, the unknown repair folks. Although this blog is choppy, my other writing flows so I have a couple more days to gain more gratitude to Bedford, Pennsylvania!

No comments:

Post a Comment